Clergy and Laity United for Justice and Peace
September 10, 2019
Peter Weatherly, Taylor Beard, Carol Muntz, Jean Hammond, Phil Best, John Surr, David Warren, Burnie Davis, Ed Murray, Dianne Murray, and guest speaker Will Brown.
Speaker: Rev. Will Brown
- Meeting opened with prayer by Dianne Murray
- Minutes from the June meeting were approved
- Treasurer’s report was read and approved
- Discussion was held regarding the Festival of the Book’s Director, Jane Kulow’s request to partner with the 2020 FOB and sponsor a speaker who will address the issue of affordable housing. A suggestion of $1000. be given from the treasury and another member recommended $500.00. A final amount was not decided at this time.
- The Rev. Will Brown was introduced by Peter. Rev. Brown is an associate pastor of University Baptist Church and a member of Charlottesville Clergy Collective. Rev. Brown spoke of the work of Coalition for Economic Opportunity which acts as an alternative to payday loans. The organization partners with Virginia National Bank and provided loans for up to $650 for individuals who need help with rent, utilities, car repairs and emergencies. Borrowers are screened; financial training is provided by the city of Charlottesville. The organization has no paid staff. Their goal is for a quick turn-around for requests and loans granted.
- Next meeting is scheduled for October 8, 2019
- Meeting adjourned at 2 pm